- Statement of Purpose
The I-2 District permits certain industries which are of a light manufacturing character to locate in planned areas of the Township. So that such uses may be integrated with land uses, such as commercial and residential uses, limitations are placed upon the degree of noise, smoke, glare, waste and other features of industrial operations so as to avoid adverse effects. It is further intended that these light industrial uses act as a transition between heavier industrial uses and non-industrial uses and not necessarily required railroad access or major utility facilities.
- All principal uses permitted in Article 22 Service Industrial (I-1)
- Light and medium industrial uses including manufacturing, processing, automobile and truck assembly and manufacturing
- Metal stamping
- Processing of semi-manufactured products
- Wholesale distribution centers
- Professional or industrially-oriented offices
- Data processing centers
- Research and development facilities
- Building supply yards
- Truck and machinery rental, sales and servicing
- Contractors’ yards
- Transport terminals
- Equipment repair and servicing shops
- Recreational uses
- Church and other buildings for purpose of religious worship
- Dyeing or cleaning plants
- Machine shops
- Retail outlets accessory to the main industrial use
For all uses permitted in the I-2 District, a site plan shall be submitted to the Township Zoning of Appeals for its review and recommendations. The Board of Appeals in its review of the site plan, shall have regard to the provisions of Section 28.21. The Board may require certain modifications in terms of the location of buildings, parking and driveways and may require screening and landscaping techniques to ameliorate potential nuisance problems with adjoining districts or uses or to lessen the transmission of noise form the public street system. A site plan must be submitted in accordance with the provisions of Article 28, Section 28.19.
Screening or buffering in compliance with the provisions of Article 28. A minimum of a one hundred fifty (150) foot buffer shall be provided adjacent to Residential Districts.
a. Minimum Area: 1 acre
b. Minimum Width: 100 feet
c. Minimum Front Yard: 60 feet
d. Minimum Rear Yard: 50 feet
e. Minimum Side Yard: 20 feet
f. Minimum Setback on Corner Lot: 50 feet
g. Maximum Height: 40 feet
As specified in Article 30.
As specified in Article 31.
- No accessory building shall be used for human habitation.
- No accessory building shall be located between the street line and any setback line established by this Resolution.
- No accessory building shall be located in any side yard required by this Resolution.
4. No accessory building shall be located within twenty (20) feet of any lot line.
5. No accessory building shall cover more than ten (10%) percent of the lot area.
- Minimum of thirty (30) feet between accessory building and the main building.
- Noise: Shall be muffled so as not to become objectionable due to intermittence, beat frequency or shrillness.
- Odor: The emission of obnoxious odors of any kind shall not be permitted.
- Gases, Smoke, Dust, Dirt and Fly Ash: The emission of gases, smoke, dust, dirt and fly ash shall in no manner be unclean, destructive, unhealthful, hazardous or deleterious to the general welfare. Such emission shall be in strict conformity with all applicable State and County health laws as pertaining to air pollution and smoke abatement.
- Fire and Safety Hazards: The storage and handling of flammable liquids, liquefied petroleum gases and explosives, shall comply with all regulations of the Township Fire Department and with all State rules and regulations. Further, all storage tanks for flammable liquid materials above ground shall be located not less than one hundred fifty (150) feet from all property lines and shall be completely surrounded by earth embankments, dikes or other type of retaining wall which will contain the total capacity of all tanks so enclosed.
Bulk storage tanks of flammable liquids below ground shall be located not closer to the property line than the greatest depth to the bottom of the buried tank.
- All uses of land except as herein provided shall take place within a wholly enclosed structure, except that this shall not be construed to include the parking of motorized vehicles.
- An area not to exceed ten (10%) percent of the lot may be used for the purpose of storing manufactured products and materials awaiting processing provided such area is completely enclosed by a solid fence with no apertures of a height equal to the height of the highest point of stored materials and products.
- Sexually Oriented Businesses
- As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
- “Sexually oriented business” means an adult arcade, adult bookstore or adult video store, adult cabaret, adult motel, adult motion picture theater, adult theater, escort agency, nude model studio or sexual encounter center.
- “Adult arcade” means any place to which the public is permitted or invited wherein coin operated or slug operated or electronically, electrically or mechanically controlled still or motion picture machines, projectors or other image producing devices are maintained to show images to five or fewer persons per machine at any one time and where the images so displayed are distinguished or characterized by the depicting or describing of “specified sexual activities” or “specified anatomical areas”.
- “Adult bookstore” or “adult video store” means a commercial establishment which utilized fifteen (15%) percent or more of its retail selling area for the purpose of sale or rental for any form of consideration, any one or more of the following:
- Books, magazines, periodicals or other printed matter or photographs, motion pictures, video cassettes or video reproductions, slides or other visual representations which depict or describe “specified sexual activities: or “specified anatomical areas”; or
- Instruments, devices or paraphernalia which are designed for use in connection with “specified sexual activities”.
- “Adult cabaret” means a nightclub, bar, restaurant or similar commercial establishment which regularly features:
- Persons who appear in a state of nudity; or
- Live performances which are characterized by the exposure of “specified anatomical areas” or by “specified sexual activities”; or
- Film, motion pictures, video cassettes, slides or other photographic reproductions which are characterized by the depiction or description of “specified anatomical areas”.
- “Adult motion picture theater” means a commercial establishment where, for any form of consideration, films, motion pictures, video cassettes, slides or similar photographic reproductions are regularly shown which are characterized by the depiction or description of “specified sexual activities” or “specified anatomical areas”.
- “Adult motel” means a hotel, motel or similar commercial establishment which:
- Offers accommodations to the public for any form of consideration; provide patrons with closed circuit television transmission, films, motion pictures, video cassettes, slides or other photographic reproduction which are characterized by the depiction or description of “specified sexual activities” or “specified anatomical areas” and has a sign visible from the public right of way which advertises the availability of this adult type of photographic reproductions; or
- Offers a sleeping room for rent for a period of time that is less than ten (10) hours; or
- Allows a tenant or occupant of a sleeping room to sub-rent the room for a period of time that is less than ten (10) hours.
- “Adult theater” means a theater, concert hall or establishment which regularly features persons who appear in a state of nudity for live performances which are characterized by the exposure of “specified sexual activities” or “specified anatomical areas”.
8. “Escort agency” means a person or business association who furnishes, offers to furnish or advertise to furnish escorts as one of its primary business purposes for a fee, tip or other compensation.
9. “Nude model studio” means any place where a person who appears in a state of nudity or displays “specified anatomical areas” is provided to be observed, photographed or similarly depicted by other persons who pay money or any other form of consideration.
10. “Sexual encounter center” means a business or commercial enterprise that as one of its primary purposes, offers for any form of consideration:
- Physical contact in the form of wrestling or tumbling between persons of the opposite sex; or
- Activities between male and female persons and/or persons of the same sex when one or more of the persons is in a state of nudity or semi-nudity.
11. “Specified anatomical areas” means human genitals in the state of sexual arousal.
12. “Specified sexual activities” means and includes any of the following:
- The fondling or other erotic touching of human genitals, pubic region, buttocks, anus or female breasts;
- Sex acts, normal or perverted, actual or simulated, including intercourse, oral copulation or sodomy;
- Masturbation, actual or simulated; or
- Excretory functions as part of or in connection with any of the activities set forth in a through c.
- Only within the I-2 Light Industrial District shall sexually oriented businesses be permitted and only if the Township Board of Appeals determines that each of the following conditions have been met:
- That the parcel of land upon which the sexually oriented business is located at a minimum of one thousand (1,000) feet from the nearest parcel of land containing a school, church or residence.
- That the parcel of land upon which the sexually oriented business is located at a minimum of five hundred (500) feet from any other parcel of land containing sexually oriented business.
- Article 9 governing conditional zoning permits and Article 28.