LOCAL COMMERCIAL DISTRICT
- Statement of Purpose
The C-1 District is intended for retail business and service uses which are needed to serve the nearby residential area. The intent of this District is also to encourage the concentration of local business areas to the mutual advantage of both the consumers and merchants and thereby promote the best use of land at certain strategic locations.
- Shops for the sale of baked goods, beverages, including liquor outlets (not to be consumed on the premises), books, confections, drugs, flowers, foodstuffs, including meats, gifts, hardware, hobby equipment, jewelry, notions, paint, periodicals, sundry, small household articles and tobacco except that shopping centers shall comply with provisions in Section 11.04
- Personal service establishments performing services on the premises, such as barber and beauty shops, watch and shoe repair, tailor shops, locksmith and similar establishments.
- Laundry or dry cleaning customer outlets, coin operated laundromat and self serve dry cleaning center. Dry cleaning or laundry plants serving more than one customer service outlet shall be prohibited.
- Professional offices of doctors, lawyers, dentists, chiropractors and similar professions.
- Accessory buildings and uses customarily incidental to the above Principal Permitted Uses.
- Church and other buildings for purpose of religious worship.li>
- All business establishments shall deal directly with consumers. All goods produced on the premises shall be sold at retail on the premises where produced.
- All business, servicing or processing, except for off-street parking or loading, shall be conducted within a completely enclosed building.
The following use shall be permitted by the Township Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Planned Shopping Center when used in this context means a commercial development which has been designed, developed and operated as a unit and can satisfy the following criteria: a site of three to five acres; six to fifteen stores; and a floor area of 10,000 to 50,000 square feet; and which further satisfies the following development standards:
- A planting strip at least ten (10) feet wide shall be provided around the entire perimeter of the site, except for driveways onto the public street system. A wall not less than five (5) feet high may be required along those property lines which abut a residential district.
- No main or accessory building shall be situated less than fifty (50) feet from any perimeter property line.
- A landscape plan which includes the entire site shall be submitted for approval to determine compliance with screening and planting strips.
- All signs shall be affixed to the face of the building and shall be of a uniform design throughout, except for one ground pole sign advertising the name of the shopping center.
- On site pedestrian and vehicle circulation shall be designed to limit traffic hazards.
- Internal landscaping shall be provided in parking lots containing twenty five (25) spaces or more.
- The maximum grade of off-street parking shall be three (3%) percent.
- A site plan must be submitted subject to provisions of Article 28.
- Child day care center.
- Residential use in conjunction with commercial use in the common structure.
- Transmitter/Receiver Towers, subject to the provision of Article 9.
For all uses permitted in the C-1 District, a site plan shall be submitted to the Township Zoning Commission for its review and recommendations. The Zoning Commission in its review of the site plan shall have regard to the provisions of this Resolution. The Commission may require certain modifications in terms of the location of buildings, parking and driveways and may require screening landscaping techniques to ameliorate potential nuisance problems with adjoining districts of uses or to lessen the transmission of noise from the public street system. A site plan must be submitted in accordance with the provisions of Article 28, Section 28.19.
To assist in the prevention of the transmission of light and noise from within any commercial district into any abutting residential district, screening shall be required where such district abuts or is contiguous to any residential district, without an intervening alley or other public way. Such screening shall be provided within the commercial district, but not within a public street or alley, along the entire contiguity of said districts. Screening shall be of opaque or translucent materials resistant to deterioration by natural causes, or it shall be of such plant materials as will provide a year round evergreen screening. Screening as provided herein, shall not be less than six (6) feet in height, shall be provided from the grade of the property upward and shall be permanently maintained.
Screening or buffering must also be in compliance with the provisions of Article 28.18.
a. Minimum Area: 1 acre
b. Minimum Frontage: 150 feet
c. Minimum Front Yard: 50 feet
d. Minimum Side Yard: 20 feet
e. Minimum Rear Yard: 30 feet
f. Minimum Setback for Corner Lots:
- the required front yard setback
g. Maximum Height: 35 feet
h. Maximum Coverage: 40%
As specified in Article 30.
As specified in Article 31.
- Accessory structures shall not exceed the principal structure in area and/or height.
- No accessory structure or aggregate of accessory structures shall cover more than ten (10) percent of the total lot area.
- A single accessory structure shall not exceed 2,500 square feet in area and/or thirty-five (35) feet in height.
- An accessory structure shall be a minimum of thirty (30) feet from any main structure.
- No accessory structure shall be located between the street line and the front yard setback line.
- No accessory structure shall be located within thirty (30) feet of any lot line, street line or alley.
- Accessory structure use must be incidental to the use of the principal structure and shall not house separate business.
- No accessory structure shall be used for human habitation.