TWO FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT
15.0 Statement of Purpose
The R-2 District is designed to provide for a one and two family residential environment on relatively small lots with supporting ancillary uses in areas of the Township which contain public water and sanitary sewer systems.
The following provisions apply in all R-2 Districts. In an R-2 District no person shall hereafter use any building or structure except in accordance with the following provisions:
- All uses principally permitted in R-1, R-1A, R-1B Districts unless otherwise provided.
- Two family dwellings.
- Publicly owned and operated libraries, parks and recreation facilities.
- Type B family day care home.
- Accessory uses customarily incidental to the above permitted uses.
a. Minimum Area: 14,000 square feet per unit.
b. Minimum Frontage: 80 feet
c. Minimum Front Yard: 35 feet
d. Minimum Side Yard: 10 feet
e. Minimum Rear Yard: 40 feet
f. Minimum Setback for Corner Lots:
½ of the required front yard setback
g. Maximum Height: 35 feet
h. Maximum Lot Depth: Lot width times 3.5
i. Minimum Floor Area: 900 square feet per family
As specified in Article 30.
As specified in Article 31.
- Where the accessory structure is attached to a main building, it shall be subject to and must conform to all regulations of this Resolution applicable to the main building.
- Except as otherwise provided herein, no accessory building or structure or use shall be erected or carried on in the required front yard.
- A detached private garage or other accessory structure may be erected and used in the interior side or rear yard provided that:
a. When such accessory structure is located in the rear or side yard, a minimum side and rear yard of five (5) feet shall be maintained. If the structure is one thousand five hundred (1,500) square feet or greater, then the minimum side and rear yard shall be twenty (20) feet. If the structure is single story, detached, does not exceed one hundred and twenty (120) square feet of floor space, does not have a permanent foundation, has no plumbing installed, and is used as a tool or storage shed, playhouse, or similar use, it is exempt from required zoning permit. A zoning permit shall be required for all other accessory structures.
b. In no case shall an accessory structure be located closer than twenty (20) feet to any street line or alley.
- An accessory building shall be a minimum distance of ten (10) feet from any main building(s).
- No accessory structure shall be used for commercial habitation.
- No accessory structure shall be used for commercial or industrial purposes.
- Accessory structures shall not cover more than thirty five (35%) percent of the required rear yard.
- Accessory structures must be subordinate in area to the principal use.
- The maximum height of any accessory structure shall be twenty (20) feet.
- Private swimming pools, refer to Section 30.10.
11. Driveways, parking and/or maneuvering areas are considered accessory structures and shall not encroach upon the minimum side yard setback areas as set forth in 14.5.3 (a) of this resolution.
A home occupation shall be permitted use if it complies with the following requirements:
- The external appearance of the structure in which the use is conducted shall not be altered and not more than one sign no larger than two (2) square feet shall be mounted flush to a wall of the structure.
- No external alterations, construction or reconstruction of the premises to accommodate the use shall be permitted.
- There shall be no outside storage of any kind related to the use and only commodities produced on the premises may be sold on the premises; no display of products may be visible from the street.
- Not more than twenty five (25%) percent of the gross floor area of the dwelling shall be devoted to the use.
- No equipment, process, materials or chemicals shall be used which create offensive noise, vibration, smoke, dust, odor, heat, glare, x-rays, radiation or electrical disturbances.
- No additional parking demand shall be created.
- Home occupation use is not permitted in two (2) family dwellings.